Wednesday, April 29, 2009

Miss Australia beauty contestant too skinny!



Miss Australia beauty contestant, Stephanie Naumoska, has generated a lot of controversy after being criticised for being too skinny.

The Sydney teenager, who is 180cm tall and weighs 52 kilograms, was one of 32 contestants.

Her body mass index of just 15.1 is well under the official 18 benchmark for malnutrition. Dieticians and nutritionists are convinced she is underweight and malnourished citing examples of malnutrition on Stephanie's body eg. "... some muscle wasting particularly in the upper body" though Naumoska disputes this.

I've seen Naumoska on the US talk show circuit today maintaining that she's healthy and instead is being victimised. "I'm very hurt and upset by what they've been saying, and I think that it's very unfair, and I also think that it's very unfair& just to all the other girls out there who have the same body as myself."

I do agree that she has been victimised because I saw a lot of skinny contestants.

I can't stand these 'beauty' contests that objectify women at the best of times but ignoring my bias, at the end of the day, whether she's naturally thin or not, they should never have let her into the contest because it is not sending the right message to young girls and teens who are most influenced by these images. I believe that the criticism lies firmly with the organizers! They ought to be ashamed of themselves.

1 comment:

  1. i totally agree with you...this is crazy...and I know what anorexia looks like(not that I've had it myself).....this girl is def. not naturally thin.

    ReplyDelete